Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk Myself to Death: Broaching the Awkward Subject

Friday, May 18, 2007

Broaching the Awkward Subject

[UPDATED BELOW]

Mrs. Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk was looking for some advice last night, and I've got to admit that I came up completely dry. Maybe somebody out there has a better idea.

It just so happens that Beauty and the Geek is having auditions in Chicago this weekend. Mrs. Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk has an acquaintance who she thinks would be good on the show. I know the guy, too, and she's right--he would be a pretty good fit. (Just in case you're worried, it's my expectation that he doesn't read this blog, so if you're thinking I might be talking about you--probably not.) Her question, though--in case you haven't already anticipated it--is how do you casually suggest such a thing? You can't just come right out with it--"Hey, you'd be good on Beauty and the Geek!" If he's familiar with the show at all, he knows that the guys aren't the beauties. And geek is one of those words that someone might apply to themselves and its OK, but if somebody else calls them that, then it's an insult. In this case, it's not intended as an insult, but you can't call someone a geek and then assure him that you only mean it in "the best sense of the word." This is something that she thinks the guy might not just enjoy but actually excel at, as well. Of course, if he's going to be offended and emotionally wounded by the very thought that she'd suggest he has the qualities a show called Beauty and the Geek might be looking for, it would be so not worth the trouble. So does anybody have any ideas about how one might introduce the idea? We're all ears.

UPDATE--After I posted this, it occurred to me that, in trying to protect the identity of the person I was talking about by saying that I didn't believe he read this blog (which is true), I might be discouraging anybody who is reading this from also auditioning. If you thought I might be talking about you (and I reiterate, I don't think I am) and you thought auditioning for Beauty and the Geek isn't the worst idea you've ever heard, go for it. If anybody wants to do a report on the auditions, please add it to the comments below.

1 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, May 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems to me that Mrs. T5 needs to decide how well she knows this fellow. If he can't take hearing it from her, there's no way he'd make it through the show. But there's also the question of whether this represents any kind of positive opportunity for the guy. I mean, it might be fun for his friends to see him on the show, but is it going to further his career in some tangible way? Has anyone to date parlayed an appearance on that show into additional career opportunities of any significance? It reminds me of a Chicago actor I know. He is a tall, good-looking guy. A couple years ago, he was at a bar and a woman approached him, identified herself as a producer for the show Elimidate, and asked him if he'd be interested in appearing on the show. He asked her, "So do you have to act like a total tool when you go on that show?" (his words, not mine). She basically said yes to that, and he declined her offer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home